Same sex attraction. A personal testimony

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpmj12

I don’t know if I’ve yet fully repented of this particular prejudice but the fact is that for nearly 60 years, I did not know it was sinful to maintain my invisible barrier with gay people. I thought that my position where I was natural, kindly and ‘inclusive’ to a degree was the genuine Christian way. I assumed that myself having honed a good Catholic faith, that were I to walk in their shoes, I would just ‘do the right thing’ and not let my sexual attraction be part of my life. Afterall, I had managed to stay a virgin until I married and I never used contraception or ‘stepped outside the marriage’ after that. How hard could it be to just avoid being gay?

In more recent years being on the internet, I kind of secretly believed the condemnation of Fr James Martin, even though I did not endorse it. I thought he was playing a dangerous card, looking for non-existent loopholes in doctrine or just being incredibly naïve.

Then Pope Francis spoke up without fear, with genuine love for people with same sex attraction. He could find genuine merit in Fr Martin’s ministry, so I opened my soul on that basis. Where the Church will go I don’t know but I believe that the Holy Spirit is very close to this issue at this time.

I have today in my hands a copy of James Martins book,

> Building A Bridge

and in due course, will add to this personal testimony with further thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back