Did I Violate My Penance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperb2002

Part of my penance was to not indulge in individual online recreation for a week, from the Sunday I confessed to Saturday. My understanding is that I must abstain from online entertainment, such as social media, video websites, and online video games. One of my friends back home (I’m living somewhere else for my job) wanted to play some games with me. After some thought, I decided that it wasn’t individual recreation as it was with a friend, and I decided to have some fun with him. Thinking back, I worry that I violated my penance, and therefore my confession (in hindsight, I should’ve just told him no). Did I violate my penance?

Ask your confessor. I am certain that he will allow you to begin anew, exactly as Christ does. If you did it consciously, it is a problem. If not, then simply mention it at your next confession, do your one-week penance, and put it all in your rear-view mirror.
Do you have a good examination of conscience? These are almost indispensable. The best I have found was composed by Fr. Robert Altier and costs all of $2. It explains the differences in sin and also describes what we call “imperfections” - which are part of our broken human nature and are not sinful by themselves.

Last edited:
After some thought, I decided that it wasn’t individual recreation as it was with a friend, and I decided to have some fun with him. Thinking back, I worry that I violated my penance, and therefore my confession (in hindsight, I should’ve just told him no). Did I violate my penance?
You didn’t “violate your confession”. That part still stands. As to whether gaming with a friend (as opposed to by yourself) constitutes “individual” recreation, you could argue that both ways. I would go to the same priest, in your next confession, and describe the scenario, then let him be the judge.

There is, strictly speaking, no absolute requirement that you complete the penance in one confession before you make your next confession, per Jone, Moral Theology:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back