Oppenheimer movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpmj12

OSV makes a good review of the story. We saw it in the theatre yesterday. I would recommend that if you aren’t familiar with the players in the story, have a general read of it before you go along. I found I was getting confused about how Groves (Matt Damon) and Strauss (Robert Downey Jr), came to be involved and who they were before they came to the Atomic project. My dh told me an interesting tidbit. Groves had only just finished building the Pentagon before his Atomic posting.

I agree with this part of the article as well…

“Needlessly frank scenes of their erotic interaction, both before and after Oppenheimer’s marriage, not only prevent endorsement of this biography for youngsters but constitute material that even some mature viewers may wish to avoid. That’s a shame because, as an absorbing historical retrospective, the movie might have had considerable educational value.”

I closed my eyes during those few scenes. They just weren’t necessary at all.

It was long… nearly 3 hours but did provoke themes that have you thinking about the situation even a day after watching it.

The sex scenes, which involved total nudity (thankfully, not all of the anatomy was shown), were utterly gratuitous and not needed for the story.

Aside from that, while a good story, the movie was overly long and difficult to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back