Protestant devotional book

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

odilia11

my protestant friend gave me a protestant devotional book because my faith is weaker. is that okay for catholic to use it? or is there something that i should consider?

It should be fine, they are prayers after all. I haven’t heard of Protestant devotional books, what it like?

so there is alot of quotes from bible, questionaire, and quotes that is outside from the bible and prayer.

Read it through “Catholic Glasses” (if in doubt, ask yourself, is this what the church teaches?). I expect the questionnaire might lean towards the belief of the denomination that made it but other than that read away. It was given to you out of Christian charity and I would read it without worrying about it. The parts in the Bible etc might be quite interesting/enlightening.

Last edited:
how about after there is quotes from the bible then they explain it and all… is that okay?

Yes but again read them through “Catholic Glasses”, Google anything you are unsure of etc. But you know this could be the Holy Spirit helping you out 😀

my protestant friend gave me a protestant devotional book because my faith is weaker.
If your faith is weak, you’re putting your soul in danger using Protestant materials. Your friend means well, but there are thousands of Catholic devotional books and you need to be using one of those. Or else you might find yourself falling away from the Catholic faith and becoming Protestant. You should not be reading any religious books that don’t have a nihil obstat and imprimatur.

We use “The Word Among Us” monthly devotional (wau.org). It is so so good. The daily devotional uses one of the readings from the mass of that day. My father in law who attends daily mass loves it because you can get a version that includes the mass readings, which is great because they’ve taken away all the missalettes due to Covid. I’m a revert and spent decades in good evangelical churches and have seen and lightly used many “Protestant” devotionals. But none of them grabbed my family & I like WAU.

Most Protestant devotionals really are written to draw you deeper into a personal faith and don’t delve into anti-Catholic invectives. They are not usually a vehicle for trying to convert you from one church to another. But depending on who wrote it, there may be subtle push-backs against unique Catholic beliefs. The “Catholic glasses” advice is very good. And Bear’s advice is worth considering too, because even a subtle “attack” can send you in the wrong direction. But way to go for wanting to deepen your faith!

I STRONGLY agree with Tis_Bearself that we endanger our souls by reading non-Catholic materials.

Why take the chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back