Saying what church's teaching means Forcing others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimat

In my country , during the period of same-sex marriage law movement, a protestant pastor said publicly that, as we all know the bible teaches us worshiping other gods is sin, and non-christian is committed the crime now, but it is clear that we do not persecute them or impose our values on them for correcting them , so why change today when we talk about same-sex marriage issue? why we strongly opposed to them?Wouldn’t that be inconsistent?Why not respect the freedom of people with homosexual tendencies just like we respect other religion background people ? Shouldn’t we learn to live with each other?

I wonder what goes wrong with the argument above, and how can we answer his point?

thank you all

Welcome! We teach morality - what is right and wrong in God’s eyes and according with God’s revelation to mankind. “Male and female He made them” So, sexual reproduction in a marriage is God’s plan for the continuation of the human race. To engage in sex outside of marriage is against God’s law, and violates the bodily dignity of both male and female. Same sex unions are against both the natural law as well as God’s law. Same sex unions cannot produce life. Those who commit serious sin will be condemned unless they repent and confess their sins.

Catholic, Orthodox, most Protestant churches, Islam and many other religions condemn same-sex relations and unions. But, the government has no relation to God’s law, but exists for the peace and order in a society. We are called to admonish the sinner, but allow them to make the decision to repent or keep sinning.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Typos.

Last edited:
In the Christian faith, there are seven spiritual works of mercy. One of them is to admonish the sinner. Monsignor Charles Pope of Washington, D.C. wrote an excellent article about this:

I would add only that there is no way to define what a “Protestant pastor” is. This is because their beliefs come from what they think the bible says, and not from what it may actually teach. So, a pastor may be correct or may not. It does not sound like this pastor wants to tell the truth, perhaps out of fear, or perhaps because he does not love those who are committing serious sin. That, I cannot answer. In America alone there are thousands of different Christian denominations and all disagree with each other on certain things. There is nothing to hold them together except that they are “not Catholic.” And for this reason, we do not know if they speak truth.

That is the great blessing of being Catholic (or Orthodox) as we have God’s Truth which can never change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back