Transitional Fossils and the Theory of Evolution in relation to Genesis Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you breath air? Is it helpful?
When you let go of something, it it helpful that it falls down rather than rises up?
If I breathed something else that wouldn’t make things unintelligible. We call the direction things fall down, are you asserting there’s some kind of objective ‘up’? Your comment is unintelligible but nothing you’re proposing seems to be. This is often covered by the notion of a magical amulet that keeps tigers away, it’s efficacy proven by looking around and seeing no tigers.

You can imagine and believe as you like. You can reason with facts and logic as you prefer.

However, I see in the Bible that a resurrection from the dead is destined for all. I’ve never been able to ignore that totally.
The hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. (John 5:28-29)

Please check your principles of hermeneutics.
Please check your principles of logic Given a contradiction you can logically prove any statement.

For example, let X = “Donald Trump is the Queen of England”. Using a contradiction I can prove this statement true:
  • P1: A – Premise
  • P2: ~A – Contradictory premise
  • 3: A OR X – True for all X since A is true by P1
  • C4: ~A AND (A OR X) => X – From P2 and 3. If A is not true AND (A OR X) is true, then X is true.
Yes, we have general prayer promises like John 14:13 but we also have conditional guidelines like James 4:3 or Proverbs 15:29.
As I said, the Bible contains contradictions. I am glad you agree.

As I said, the Bible contains contradictions. I am glad you agree.
The Bible must be studied and searched to discover its depths and assay it accurately.

Most gold and silver is not found at the surface but must be brought out by digging deeply.

Please check your principles of hermeneutics. We don’t “proof-text” from one Bible verse. We need to study and put together the whole message from multiple parts of the Bible.
Why do you have to do that? It wasn’t written that way. Each author has his own voice and to take something that one author clearly said and moosh it up to agree with another author’s words is simply writing a new gospel…one that none of them wrote. Don’t you find it odd that the only way you can understand one one author is by looking at another author? In real life, when do we ever do THAT?

Why do you have to do that? It wasn’t written that way.
Not all use of the Bible is “proof-text” work but preachers and proclaimers commonly compare different portions of Scripture.

The feeding of the manna during the Exodus and the multiplication of the loaves and fishes during the public ministry of Jesus Christ have been seen as fore-runners of the feeding people via consecration of the bread and wine in the Eucharist.

The physical healing of human bodies by Jesus Christ is compared to the healing of souls and forgiveness of sins.

The first coming of Jesus as a fragile baby born in Bethlehem is compared to the prophesied Second Coming of Jesus when he will come through the clouds in great glory and power.

In the earlier context, you can find one Scripture verse giving general promises of answered prayer but then compare it to other verses that speak as if giving “terms and conditions” for answered prayer.

The Apostle Paul’s defense to the Ephesian elders in his farewell address at Miletus (Act 20) was that he was innocent (not guilty) only because over many months, he had not failed to proclaim “the whole counsel of God”.

The Bible is a unified, Spirit-inspired message written by multiple authors across multiple centuries and we can learn much by doing diligent study to “un-earth” its treasures.

Last edited:
You could probably do the same with Gone With the Wind and War and Peace, too. However, it’s mostly done as a way to rectify contradicting passages or those that are head scratchers to begin with.

I’ve often been entertained at claimed OT prophesies fulfilled in Jesus. A few, I can see but some of them are really out there and reaching at best. Now if Chinese prophesies had been fulfilled by Jesus, I’d have to take a second look…because no one knew what those prophesies were. Jesus followers, on the other hand, knew exactly what was in the OT.

I have been just a relative newcomer on the CAF threads related to Creation, Evolution and Intelligent Design but they had a long history. From my limited perspective, it seems like a few awards are in order. So, here’s my ideas for awards. Someone else may have other and better ideas.
  1. Longevity award: @rossum
  2. Biology expertise award: @rossum
  3. Wit and dry humor award: @o_mlly
  4. Personality award: @Freddy
  5. Early time zone award: @Freddy
  6. Nice, insightful guy keeping this going in CY 2020: @Eric_Hyom
  7. Ready response and courtesy award @buffalo
  8. Lots of likes given award: @Techno2000
  9. Fresh ideas award: @Dan123
  10. Lady skeptic award: @PattyIt
  11. Unsung hero award: @Everyonelse
This is certainly an incomplete list and I’m sure that better and more accurate and more insightful awards could be stated by someone else.

Thank you, All, for this discussion. I enjoyed it and gained from it.

“A horse is a horse, of course, of course.”

Horses remain horses and are never going to turn into a super-horse or anything else.

From early 1960’s American television, I thought that I might share some entertaining imaginations and fantasies of what a horse could evolve to become.

Mr. Ed Theme Song (Duration 1:25)

Mr. Ed Wants Life Insurance (Duration 1:43)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back